Lunes, Abril 6, 2015

Up The Mountains I Go

Amidst the horse back riding, the photo ops with dozens of St. Bernard, countless vendors of strawberry taho and vendors grilling either corn on the cob or sun-dried squid, Baguio is probably one of my favorite cities to visit.
 

The whiff of a distinct pine smell which is present in most parts of the city, plus the sensation of breathing in the crisp Baguio air just brings back good memories of trips made with either friends or family.

I skipped the usual tourist stops and other alatski stuff first-timers do and opted for a quick, but extremely satisfying Baguio food trip instead. 

I needed inspiration for a menu that I am creating and I know that Baguio is starting to become a haven for chefs and foodies alike, why not hit two birds with one stone?

Since I only had a day to experience what Baguio has to offer, I messaged some of my good friends who are certified foodies. Some even lived in Baguio for a while, so I was positive that they know where the good spots are. Hi Mij! Hehehehe

Fresh, organic, fresh, local, fresh and foodgasmic. These are the elements of the food I'm expecting to devour in the next few hours. 

FT BROOOOOOOOO

I decided to start my journey (journey siya eh) at Session Road. 

As I was walking along the busy street of Session, I went to the Swiss bakery that had some great reviews. I went there around 10AM, but still, the smell of freshly baked bread comes at you the moment you walk in. Since my stomach's starting to growl, I asked the cashier for a piece of strawberry Danish (35php). I left the bakery and started descending the busy street going to Burnham Park. 

I was thinking of looking for a good spot at the park and eat the Danish, but I gave in to temptation and took a bite of what's supposed to be flaky, buttery, aromatic piece of heaven with a pastry cream and strawberry compote in the middle and maaaaaaaan was I disappointed. It was like biting a piece from your ex's heart after your break up. 


Cold. Hard. Hollow.


DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM SOOOOOOOON


So being bummed out by my first stop, I crossed that out from my list. Still being hopeful that one magical meal will turn my day around, I have a feeling that it's just coming real real real soon. I, then, headed to my next destination.



The Ketchup Food Community


        

 


It took me around 20 minutes to arrive from Session to Ketchup Food Community by cab, which is near Wright Park (most of the cab drivers are already familiar with the place. If not, tell them it's near Wright Park).








Basically the compound consists of 5 different establishments:
  • Rancho Norte offers both traditional and exotic Filipino food (packed).
  • Green Pepper offers gourmet Mediterranean  food (super packed).
  • Happy Tummy offers Filipino-Thai favorites (medj packed).
  • Canto offers American comfort food (closed).

The fifth restaurant is Rumah Sate which offers Indonesian and Malaysian food. I asked the waiter for their best sellers and he told me that Sate Ponorogo (around 150 php) is a must-try so I ordered that and a glass of milk tea (90 php).


Three skewers of perfectly grilled chicken thigh fillet basted with a sweet soy base sauce served with pickled finger chili and candied dilis. This meal definitely made up for my first purchase. 

The pickled chilies were addictive. I actually had it refilled twice! They were on an unending battle whether they'd be sweet or sour, none of them were backing down. A hint of heat compliments the sweetness of the sauce that was smothered all over the chicken. 

Don't worry if you're not gastronomically adventurous (maarte), this dish is definitely Filipino palate friendly plus the serving is ginormous! If only I had someone to share the meal with....AY PUUUUU

After having that heavenly meal, I was up for a sugar rush so next stop for me was 



Cafe By The Ruins 
 

Upon entering the establishment, you will surely be mesmerized by its interiors which are mostly made of wood and skillfully crafted iron works.

I decided to get a table on the second floor. I know I won't be able to work on the menu because I will be too distracted by the bakers shaping the pandesal on one side and the open kitchen on the other. Since I was too full to even try their mouthwatering pain au chocolat or their irresistible croissant and ensaymada, I ordered the Rizal's tsokolate-e instead.


After having a sip of this cup of happiness, a sudden spread of warmth filled my body; thick and rich concoction of fresh carabao's milk and Davao tablea is perfect for beating Baguio's chill.

Eh kung may kayakap ba naman ako, edi sana goods na.

After downing my cup of hot chocolate, I decided to hit the market and look for the stores where they sell coffee beans.

Being oddly familiar with Baguio's market, I didn't find it hard to locate said stores. 

I bought both a quarter of a kilo of Benguet blend (around 240/kl) and Sagada blend (around 365/kl). You can either buy them as is or have them ground for your convenience. I stayed here for a while since I find the smell of coffee soothing and calming.


                                 
It was starting to get dark and my sweet tooth's already acting up, so off to Hill Station I go.

I asked the waitress for their best seller and she pointed me two of their wide array of pastries and cakes. One is the chocolate lemon tart and the other one which happened to be her go-to dessert also is the Death by Chocolate (around 120 php).


           



The warm half-baked brownie-like pastry topped with a smooth and creamy vanilla ice cream. Every bite gives you pure bliss. Only people who already had this can understand. One bite of the warm, gooey and fudgey chocolate, together with the ice cream will send you to ecstasy.

I was full and somewhat satisfied from my pig out day, so I was thinking of ways on how to spend my last night in the city of pines. Why not have a pint of artisan beer?

Baguio Craft Brewery offers a wide array, and when I say wide array, I mean a lot of different brews to tickle your tastebuds. Since there were too many to choose from, I had a hard time choosing what to order. Good thing the bartenders let you have a taste of the different varieties they have in store.

                      
I ordered a pint of Pugaw (170 php) after tasting almost all of the beer they have (I only missed 2 out of the 14). Yup, you can do that so before my order I was a bit buzzed already. 

The brew that I got, reminds me a little bit of both Stella Artois and Hoegaarden. Crisp, straight forward, not too bitter and a hint of sweetness. Now that's one hell of a beer.

A pub where the bartenders know their beer and knows how to interact with their costumers. A place where you can either drink in peace or meet a new buddy or two! Over all a cozy and warm (not literally, I was freezing) place to end your day on a high note.

12 hours. 5 establishments. 1 happy belly.

My day didn't start off as smoothly as I wanted it to be but a lot of food I had made up for it. So it was still a good day for me and my palate.

For me, Baguio will never lose its charm. I may not visit the Baguio staples where the swarm of tourists flock for a picture with at least a dozen photo bombers. I may not enjoy riding a horse around a poop yard. I may not enjoy riding a bike nor go boating in the middle of a park, with people awkwardly watching you paddle your awfully colored boat, but I'd like to think that it's part of the package.

For once I saw Baguio, the way I wanted it to, and I was not disappointed. Thanks, Baguio. See you soon.

              
                 CHEERS!!!

*I still didn't find my "Tadhana" though, damn it!




Ketchup Food Community
Romulo Dr, Baguio, 2600 Benguet, Philippines

Cafe By The Ruins
25 Shuntug Rd, Baguio, 2600 Benguet, Philippine


Garcia's Pure Coffee 
Hangar Market, 10 A Chucheria Section, Baguio,
Benguet, Philippines

Hill Station
Casa Vallejo, Upper Session Road, Session Road 

Baguio Craft Brewery 
Ben Palispis Hwy, Baguio

 

0 (mga) komento :

Mag-post ng isang Komento